How to paint smooth skin door?
Use coupon code: SMOOTHSKIN to receive a $100 discount when you purchase any smooth skin door from Discount Door Window.
Painting a smooth skin door is not as difficult as you may think. Here are some easy steps to help you paint your smooth skin door.
1) Collect the materials required for painting smooth skin doors. Here is a list of materials required for painting your smooth skin door.
- Lint-free cloth
- Masking tape
- Rubber gloves
- 4" bristle brush
- Fine Scotch Brite Pad or 320-400 grit sandpaper
- For Water-based application: Acrylic primer/acrylic latex-based exterior grade paint.
2) Prepare the surface for painting smooth skin door. Following are the steps for surface preparation for smooth skin doors.
- Firstly lay door horizontally on a table.
- Now remove all the hardware and mask off anything you don't want painted, for example- the glass insert.
- Lightly scuff sand the surface with Scotch Brite pad or fine sandpaper.
- Now you should wipe the door with acetone to clean any dust or residue from the surface. Allow acetone to dry from the surface before applying
*Remember: Do not use hydrocarbon based solvents to clean the surface as such products may leave a residue.
- Now you can apply primer with a 4" brush beginning with the panels. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for drying time before applying topcoat.
- The primer must be completely dry before applying the topcoat.
3) Paint the smooth skin door. Following are the steps to be followed for painting the smooth skin door.
- Apply exterior grade paint with 4" brush beginning with the panels.
- It is common practice to paint both stiles the same color as the exterior side of the door. If applying a second coat, follow the manufacturer's instructions for drying time between coats.
Following are the cautions to be taken care of during painting smooth skin door
- When using stains, mineral spirits, paints, or other hazardous materials, always read and follow the manufacturer's instructions.
- When working with paints or solvents, make sure the working area is well ventilated.
- Keep away from heat and flame, as materials may be combustible.
- Paints or solvents may cause skin and eye irritation. Avoid contact with skin and eyes.
- Keep out of reach of children.
Following is tip for normal maintenance
Even a well-finished fiberglass door will be affected by exposure and weathering from sun, moisture, and air pollutants. It is considered normal maintenance to re-apply the topcoat approximately every two years.
Use coupon code: SMOOTHSKIN for getting $100 discount on purchase of any smooth skin door from Discount Door Window.